The practice here in Uttoxeter was originally set up by Mr John William Elly in 1923. Mr Elly had been the local tax collector and had offices near the Town Hall. Later he moved to offices in Carter Street where the firm remained until 2004. In the 1940's Mr Elly was joined by his two grandsons, brothers Vivian and Cyril Higgins and they started to practice as Elly & Higgins.
Following the death of Mr Elly in 1946 the two brothers continued running the firm until 1983.
Meanwhile, Mr George Harding had set up another accountancy practice in Stoke on Trent in the 1920's. By 1983 Mr Harding had long since retired and the firm had moved to Newcastle-under-Lyme. The firm then traded under the name George Harding & Co.
In August 1983 George E Harding & Co acquired the practice in Uttoxeter and Peter Taylor was appointed managing partner to run the branch. From 1 January 1988 the practice traded at both locations as the Harding Higgins Partnership.
Then in 1996 the practice was de-merged and following further changes in 2004, when the practice moved to the premises in Church Street, the Uttoxeter firm has been under the sole ownership of Peter Taylor.